Live your light...
Manuscript Submission Guidelines
Please note: We have updated our submission policy. We are currently closed for submissions. Please check back next month.
I look forward to reviewing your manuscript. Whether you are a first-time or published author, I welcome your submissions. Please read and strictly follow the guidelines below.
1. Please note in the red text above if we are currently open to submissions.
2. Willow Words Literary Agency seeks to represent:
fiction and non-fiction children's, middle grade and YA manuscripts. Please only send one manuscript at a time. In the subject of the email, please put your name, and which submission it is. If it is your first submission to Willow Words, put "1st." If it is your second submission, please put "2nd.," etc. i.e.
Lynn Mabry, 2nd submission
3. Willow Words is proud to be a green agency, so therefore, we only accept emailed queries. Paper queries sent via snail mail or any other means will not be reviewed nor returned unless you contact me for approval in unique circumstances.
4. Please send your queries to:
In order to streamline submissions, submissions to any other email will not be read or responded to.
5. Your query letter, with your publishing history and any other pertinent information, as well as the manuscript text, should be sent in the body of the email vs. as an attachment. We are unable to open any attachments. All emails with attachments will not be read.
Please send as follows:
6. Please make sure to include your contact details (email address and cell phone number) so I can reach you if I have any questions or if I'm interested in your project.
7. Response Policy: Willow Words Literary Agency prides itself on being a boutique agency, devoting the majority of our efforts on the authors and editors we work with. For this reason, while we love hearing from new authors, and while we carefully consider each submission, we only respond to those manuscripts we are interested in.** If you do not hear a response from us within one week after you've submitted, please consider that we have passed on your manuscript at this time. By adopting this policy, we will be able to stay open to submissions and allow you, as an author, an opportunity to submit. While this may be inconvenient if you are an author anxious to receive a response on your submission, if you become a Willow Words Author, you'll appreciate this policy.
**As an author myself, I realize that it is often very beneficial to receive a response from an agent or editor. Please visit the "critique services" page for more on this topic.
8. Please resist the temptation to call and discuss your manuscript. Also, although it gives me great pleasure to share tips and advice with new writers, as a general rule, I am unable to walk authors through the process of formatting, submitting, finding the right agent, etc. unless we are working together through critique services or I am representing him/her.** (Please see critique services for more on this topic) There are loads of resources that can help newbies. Please seek other resources to answer such questions. In addition, please know I can not give you names of other agents if I don't agree to represent you. Thank you for your understanding.
9. Please trust the process of finding the right agent who will help you to find the right publisher. I believe the agent/author relationship is one built on integrity and trust. If I agree to represent your work, it is because I not only believe in your writing, but in you, as a person representing your creative work. In return, I hope you will believe in my interest to do my best to help you to succeed. I am an author and know the great desire to have our work published. As an agent, I believe good writing should be in the hands of readers. It brings me great joy to help achieve this for others.